Thursday, January 27, 2011

Getting Rid of Mice Humanely

The other day I went to the store and bought the old fashioned mouse traps, even tho I don't like them I was having a problem with the little critters getting into the house. We have chickens and have feed stored outside which is a big drawing factor. I was really desperate. When I got home from the store I put the bag down and was doing other chores when I realized that one of my gerbils got out of his cage and was running around the house loose. I tried and tried to catch him for an hour or more, finally I said a little prayer "Dear Lord please help me get my little critter back to his cage and I will not use the spring mouse traps. Well....not ten minutes later my husband yells that my little critter just went into the bathroom, so I run in and was able to scoop him up and get back to the safety of his cage. Now I cannot use the spring traps!!! So how was I to get my problem under control? So off I go to research less torturous means of catching and removing my mouse population.
One of the products I found and have used before was the Havahart trap and I have used them before to relocate pack rats that are prevalent here in the desert southwest. While that trap is good for the larger pack rats it was not helpful for the little guys that escape through the mesh. So I invested in some live capture traps as I will not use a glue or any type of trap that is not humane. Then my sister-in-law that has a hardware and feed store in East Haddam CT. sent me an electric unit that plugs into a wall socket and emits a sound that cannot be detected with the human ear. I am using that in my kitchen as the little guys soon found my pantry irresistible and moved in.  She also sent me this product that smells like peppermint and has other things that mice do not like. Well I put a packet in my pantry and I really like the smell and it really works!!! Now my kitchen and pantry are mouse free and I feel really good that I am not snapping or gluing the critters inhumanly. What a win win situation for this Arizonan.

No comments:

Post a Comment